Wednesday 15 September 2010

Summat Else For A Change....

Been testing a new OS on the PC {Linux Ubuntu 10.04 LTS} which is not bad for a freeware operating system, I prefer using the 32bit version, which I have found more easier to use than the 64bit version, mainly because there is better support for the 32bit version, i.e better hardware driver support.

Software is just as easy to install, like in Windows OS's, if your new to Linux and find it hard to use I recommend using this OS called Pinguy OS which has already been set up to use, all you have to do is download your chosen version and mount the ISO file to DVD, reboot and install it on your PC.

If you require even more help! Andrew at webupd8 is a mine of information on all things Linux, he certainly knows his stuff and I'm pretty sure you'll find what you need on his site.

Writing about and testing this new OS out, to date there is a new version already in beta testing called Linux Ubuntu 10.10 if you want to upgrade to it, but I think I'll wait until I've actually got used to using Linux.

So far the best thing about Linux "apart from being free" is the fact that there is server software tools that can be used for all manner of things like website hacking, etc, etc if that's what you want to do, but believe me don't run away from your Windows OS expecting Linux to be easy, because, if you've never used Linux before, you'll find it hard going to begin with until you get to grips with it.

Basically I decided to get to learn Linux as part of my second job "repairing and maintaining PC's" and believe me it's not easy, it just takes time to get used to.

No comments:

Post a Comment